Sec. 97.107 Alien control operator privileges
A non-citizen of the United States (â€śalienâ€ť) holding an amateur service authorization granted by the alien's government is authorized to be the control operator of an amateur station located at places where the amateur service is regulated by the FCC, provided there is in effect a multilateral or bilateral reciprocal operating arrangement, to which the United States and the alien's government are parties, for amateur service operation on a reciprocal basis. The FCC will issue public announcements listing the countries with which the United States has such an arrangement. No citizen of the United States or person holding an FCC amateur operator/primary station license grant is eligible for the reciprocal operating authority granted by this section. The privileges granted to a control operator under this authorization are:
(a) For an amateur service license granted by the Government of Canada:
(1) The terms of the Convention Between the United States and Canada (TIAS No. 2508) Relating to the Operation by Citizens of Either Country of Certain Radio Equipment or Stations in the Other Country;
(2) The operating terms and conditions of the amateur service license issued by the Government of Canada; and
(3) The applicable rules of this part, but not to exceed the control operator privileges of an FCC-granted Amateur Extra Class operator license.
(b) For an amateur service license granted by any country, other than Canada, with which the United States has a multilateral or bilateral agreement:
(1) The terms of the agreement between the alien's government and the United States;
(2) The operating terms and conditions of the amateur service license granted by the alien's government;
(3) The applicable rules of this part, but not to exceed the control operator privileges of an FCC-granted Amateur Extra Class operator license; and
(c) At any time the FCC may, in its discretion, modify, suspend or cancel the reciprocal operating authority granted to any person by this section.
[63 FR 68979, Dec. 14, 1998]